Tuesday, January 25, 2011

oh the pressure!!

As everyone knows, my husband and I are planning on building a new house this year.  We held off on starting construction until we put our current home on the market, thinking we would have plenty of time to get our act together on the new home. Months and months of time...no rush. Well, that isn't exactly how it played out. We put our home on the market officially on January 16th and it was under contract on January 21st. Um, yeah, waaaay faster than we thought!! That's great news but now there is so much to do to get the ball rolling.

I have contemplated finishes and talked about my ideas on the blog for awhile now, again thinking I had plenty of time until I had to really decide. Now, I feel like I have designer stage fright! Not sure where to start and nervous that I am not making the right decision...this is what it sounds like in my head all the time..."I really want a white kitchen, am I going to love it in 5 years? 10 years? What about moving this wall this way a few inches...oh wait, no"...ugh, my brain is fried!! I think it's crazy how for clients it is so easy to make the decision. I am not emotionally attached to anything. I am confident in my selections but then it comes down to my own house and I am so torn!


 via


 I know I am probably being a maniac about it right now because I am thinking about all that has to be done and worrying myself sick about the selections. I am sure in the next month, I will have a clear head and will be able to make confident selections. Fingers crossed!!

16 comments:

Erin said...

I am so excited for you Jade, that is awesome! I know what you mean about Design stage fright, I get it every time I have to do something for myself. It's like all my skills and confidence go right out the window. It will be beautiful, you are a talented designer.

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Wow! You got really lucky with the sell of your house! I can't wait to see what is in store for your new home. Congratulations!

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Oh wow! It's fabulous that your house sold so quickly! Any your new home will be amazing... have fun!

Laurel-Dawn McBurney said...

How exciting! Congratulations on a quick sale! You're one of the lucky ones! I love your kitchen inspiration- I am sure it's overwhelming to think about- but you will knock this one out of the park! I cannot WAIT to see what you have in mind!

abodelove.blogspot.com

Capella Kincheloe Interior Design said...

You need to hire a designer - seriously. Have a friend help you and don't go this alone. Most designers I know have this problem with decorating their own home - me included.

Kendra said...

I think it is so much harder for a designer to do their own home because they are aware of all of the options. I also tend to love many different styles so I find it difficult to distinguish between my own true style and what I like visually.

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Wow- congratulations! So much for you guys to look forward to in the year ahead. I love the first kitchen inspiration. I absolutely love all the white and the gorgeous range hood! I'm sure your space will wow too!

karen said...

Congratulations. Our house sold in 4 days, too.

Snap out of it! You innately know what you want. You do. What have you always been drawn to? White kitchens?... Well, then you will not be sick of it in 5 or 10 or even 20 years. Sure, you may want to update some features down the road, but that is to be expected.

Deep down, you know what aesthetically pleases you. Don't second-guess that. : )

Krystal {Blue Ribbon} said...

I design houses, so I understand the dilemma!! If I design my own house (the blueprints), it will be hard to decide as the possibilities are endless!!

Lissa Pierce said...

Awesome on selling the house so fast! I agree with Capella and Kendra....get some help and a 2nd eye. Knowing about all the options is just sooo hard. I know exactly how you feel and I am not even doing anything permanent like a kitchen yet. It will all work out and be gorgeous.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

so fun. Brooke from Blueprint Bliss is in the same season of life, can't wait to read all about what you guys pick/design!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

This is a great problem to have Jade. Don't sweat it - you'll do a great job!

Chris said...

You will always beat the pressure. Good luck.
Seattle Real Estate

Unknown said...

Wow! how exciting . . and overwhelming, I know. What a journey . . .enjoy it and all the stresses that come along with it. You have a great eye. Trust it.

traci zeller designs said...

Wow! Fast and exciting! You are so right that it is WAY easier to make decisions when you aren't emotionally attached!! Of course, just remember that, as a designer, you'll probably always want to change something. We custom-built our house 8 years ago and there are definitely things I would do differently now. But stick with what you love, love, love and you'll still love it!

Unknown said...

great photos, are you getting a range hood like that?

Post a Comment