Tuesday, November 16, 2010

i'm back!!

So, my social media free week is over and I am glad to be back!  Here's a recap of what I learned last week...

On the first day, I was itching to check Twitter and Facebook, just once, but I knew that would be cheating so I tried to find other things to keep me busy. Let's just say, my house was VERY clean that day and I managed to purchase a few items online for my daughter. Idle hands and the internet are not a good thing...I couldn't spend the whole week buying clothes online!!

Days 2-5 were difficult but I did thoroughly enjoy all the free time I ended up having. I don't know if this was related to me not being on the computer or my phone all the time, but my daughter was an absolute angel all week. Instead of blogging and tweeting, I was coloring with her and playing baby dolls.



The last two days of my experiment were pretty easy, but that was because I was distracted with a girls trip to Gainesville. I will admit...I did check in at Facebook a few times, but that was it!

At the end of the experiment, I have learned a few things. I definitely need to balance my social media time a little bit better. Maybe setting aside certain times of the day for my social media needs rather than checking in on blogs, Twitter, and Facebook all throughout the day. It kills my productivity in other areas of life. Definitely no social media when I am home with my daughter! She's growing up so fast and there is nothing so important online that it needs to take the place of quality time with my little one.  I still stand by the fact that social media is a HUGE part of doing business in this day and age and time must be spent on it. 

I recommend everyone taking a little break from it all every once in awhile but I am so glad to be back! I missed you all!!!

10 comments:

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

Oh that is completely precious! What a great experiment and one we all could do at home too! My husband is interstate at the moment and he is living with people who don't have a TV, I don't know what that'd be like, I seem to rely on the TV to keep me company at the moment!

:) Hazel
Hazel Loves Design

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

I totally agree with you! I just started blogging and I absolutely love it but it does take away from my family....so, I'm trying to work on my blog in the wee hours of the morning when everyone is still asleep but then of course after a few days I'm exhausted. I think I need to get to bed earlier. You have a beautiful blog by the way! Desiree

Unknown said...

Great idea to "unplug"- I wonder where our kids get the habit from? I did the same recently (but only for a few days) and it was great! :)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Very interesting, but I'm not surprised. I tried to get most of my computer time down in the early morning, then finish up later before the kids get home from school, working on my next day's post. It's hard to really focus on whatever task or activity is going on when also plugged in...it is most definitely a very big challenge these days!
Janell

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

i am sure i would feel the exact same way. i am constantly checking all day long and sometimes have to tell myself to stop!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I try to keep checking in to only certain periods of the day (usually early am or late pm). Do you really think Twitter is important? The thought of it exhausts me so I haven't participated. And I barely ever check facebook- it's not linked up on my blog.

Unknown said...

Very inspiring thanks Jade! I think I will rethink the time's of day I use social media :)

Unknown said...

We missed you! And I am impressed, I would be in absolutely withdrawl without blogging, I might need to take a look at that! XX!

Unknown said...

Glad you're back. I have cut way back. I try to do it early or late otherwise it tends to take over!

traci zeller designs said...

What a super experiment, Jade! Thanks so much for sharing your insights!!

Post a Comment