First of all I'm so excited that Jade has asked me to participate in her series about all things Southern! I read Jade's blog every day and I love her perspective on design and discovering new lovelies on her "Favorite Find of the Week" posts.
I am a southern "transplant". I was originally born in Pennsylvania and moved to South Carolina when I was in elementary school. Eighteen months later we moved to Atlanta and I lived there until I moved to Chattanooga in 2001, so the South definitely feels like home to me. There is so much I love about living here, and I am going to share the little things about living in the south that bring me joy.
1. Sweet tea! There is nothing more refreshing on a sultry southern afternoon than a big ol' drink of sweet tea on ice with a few lemon slices. Heaven in a glass!
2. Cicadas. The music of cicadas usually starts up when summer is in full swing. You can hear them after dark and I can't imagine summer nights without the hum of whatever it is they use to make that sound.
3. Front porches. Gotta have a place to drink your sweet tea and listen to the cicadas!
4. Azaleas, Dogwoods and Crepe Myrtles. Hear this! There is no place more glorious than the south in the springtime! Have you ever driven through Atlanta's older established neighborhoods in April? Plan a trip this spring - it is a breathtaking sight!
5. Manners. We still call our elders ma'am and sir here. 'Nuff said.
6. Traditional design rules. It's true, the south's favorite interior design style is traditional, although quirkiness is always welcomed!
7. Love of Country and Love of God - we feel it and proudly express it here!
There's so much to love about the South - and I'd love to post more but the Georgia game is about to start - go Dawgs!! (woof woof)